Crystallized Gingerbread Chocolate Chip Cookies
This recipe is the best of both worlds—gingerbread and chocolate chip cookies combined, which means you don't have to choose between the two. —Colleen Delawder, Herndon, Virginia
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1-1/2 cups unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 package (10 ounces) miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup finely chopped crystallized ginger
- Additional sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, molasses and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, ground ginger, cinnamon, salt and pepper; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and crystallized ginger. Refrigerate, covered, until firm enough to shape, at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape level tablespoons of dough into balls; roll in additional sugar. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets. Bake until until set and edges begin to brown, 8-10 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight containers.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 69 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 64mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Crystallized Gingerbread Chocolate Chip Cookies in Taste of Home December 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.