Christmas Candy Train
Create a new holiday tradition with this kid-friendly candy train. Mix and match with cookies and Christmas candy you have on hand.
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + standing
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 12 whole graham crackers
- 12 chocolate cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies
- 3 chocolate wafers
- Assorted candies, sprinkles and cookies
- In a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, 4-5 minutes. Cover frosting with a damp cloth between uses.
- Break three graham crackers in half, forming six squares; if desired, trim side edges with a serrated knife.
- Fill pastry or plastic bag with icing. Pipe icing on the edges of a whole cracker for train car base. Attach another whole cracker and the halved cracker at right angles to each other, forming two walls of the engine car. Pipe icing along inside and outside edges for added stability. Repeat with second side and back.
- Repeat twice, forming two boxcars. Let engine car and box cars stand until set, about 1 hour.
- Using icing, attach cookies to cars for wheels. For boiler, attach 1 wafer to front of engine. Microwave two wafers on high until softened, 10-15 seconds. Cut with a serrated knife to form a smokestack and cowcatcher. Attach to engine. Let stand until set.
- Attach peppermint candies to wheels with icing. Decorate cars with icing, assorted candies and sprinkles.
- Place cars on a covered cake board. Let stand until set. Fill cars with candies and cookies.