Brown Rice Mulligatawny
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped peeled sweet apple
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 5 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Add celery, onion and carrot; cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until tender. Add mushrooms and garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Stir in flour, curry powder and cayenne until blended; cook and stir 5 minutes. Gradually whisk in broth. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Add rice. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 45-50 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Add chicken, spinach, apple, salt, pepper and thyme; cook, uncovered, 3-5 minutes or until heated through and spinach is wilted. Top each serving with sour cream.
Nutrition Facts1 cup with 1 tablespoon sour cream: 229 calories, 8g fat (4g saturated fat), 60mg cholesterol, 689mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Jun 12, 2018
This was absolutely fabulous! I did not have spinach....definitely needed some "greens" so I added lots of cilantro. Best Indian stew I ever made....Thank you for this! I have never reviewed a recipe before but just had to with this one. Try it....you will not be disappointed.
Apr 23, 2018
OMGosh. This is the best soup I have had in a long time. I will no longer wonder what to do with a chicken carcass. I did have to keep an eye on it and stir it so the rice wouldn't stick, but who cares when the results are that fantastic.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.