Bread Pudding for 40
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
Makes40 servings (7-1/2 cups sauce)
- 16 eggs, lightly beaten
- 12 cups milk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 4 loaves (1 pound each) day-old white bread, cubed
- 4 cups raisins
- LEMON SAUCE:
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- Dash salt
- 2 cups cold water
- 1-1/2 cups lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- In several large bowls, combine the eggs, milk and butter. Whisk in the sugar, salt, vanilla and cinnamon until combined. Gently stir in bread cubes and raisins.
- Transfer to four well-greased 13x9-in. baking dishes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Gradually stir in water and lemon juice until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 10 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir in butter and lemon peel until blended. Serve warm with bread pudding.
May 21, 2013
This was terrific. Made it for church social hour and rec'd very good reviews. I used leftover hot dog buns (yes, really) from a picnic the day before, but you could use almost any kind of white bread. The sauce is very lemony, so go easy on that when serving.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.