If you like blue cheese, you'll love the flavorful surprise inside these moist hamburgers from Dee Dee Mitchell of Longmont, Colorado. "They're so filling that just a serving of tangy coleslaw on the side makes for a hearty meal."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Pinch cayenne pepper
- 2 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 2/3 cup barbecue sauce
- 4 onion rolls or hamburger buns, split
- In a skillet, saute mushrooms in butter for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Set aside and keep warm.
- In a bowl, combine the beef and seasonings just until mixed. Shape into eight thin patties. Sprinkle half of the patties with blue cheese; top with remaining patties and press edges firmly to seal.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 3 minutes on each side. Brush with some of the barbecue sauce. Grill 10-12 minutes longer or until juices run clear, basting and turning occasionally. Drain the mushrooms. Serve burgers on rolls topped with mushrooms.