BLT Salad with Croutons
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound sliced bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 4 slices white bread, crusts removed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 to 5 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 6 cups torn romaine
- 1-1/2 cups grape tomatoes
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. Set bacon and drippings aside.
- In another large skillet, melt butter. Add bread cubes; cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove to paper towels; cool.
- For dressing, in a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, basil, vinegar, pepper, garlic and reserved drippings. In a large bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes and bacon. Drizzle with dressing and toss to coat. Top with croutons.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Nov 21, 2018
So much bacon! I was worried it was too much but the outcome was pure delicious!
Nov 29, 2017
Made this for Thanksgiving and it was a hit, love the authentic BLT taste and the buttery croutons were addicting!!
Apr 6, 2014
Everyone loved this salad! I did not add the basil as I wanted a simple BLT flavor but I will probably try it with basil next time. This will be a go-to recipe.
Feb 11, 2014
This is so delicious and easy to prepare.Guest were crazy about it.
Dec 20, 2013
Wonderful salad! Great for when you want something other than the bagged stuff!
Jun 19, 2011
This was delicious. I made the croutons in the leftover bacon grease instead of butter and used apple cider vinegar instead of red wine vinegar (it's what I had on hand).
Jun 9, 2011
Have been making this salad for 3 years.. everyone in the family loves it even my picky eater. The homemade croutons are to die for.
Aug 23, 2010
Mixed review on this one; the homemade croutons are spectactular; I added garlic powder to the butter before dropping in the bread pieces, that definitely did not hurt--YUM! The salad dressing was ok, I have other better dressing recipes so I wouldn't make again. But I will definitely use this method for the homemade croutons!
Apr 24, 2010
Simply delicious!!! This salad takes a little more time to make but is totally worth the effort. Makes enough to fill a family of 4!
Aug 25, 2009
Great salad. I had to thin the dressing a little with milk otherwise followed the recipe.