Barbecued Pork Chops
The best compliment a cook can receive is to be asked for the recipe of a dish she's just served. That's happened almost every time I've made these pork chops for friends. The sauce gives them a great barbecue flavor.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + marinating Bake: 1 hour
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 6 pork chops (1 to 1-1/2 inches thick)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a saucepan, combine the soy sauce, water, brown sugar and molasses; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Pour into a shallow glass container or large resealable plastic bag; add pork chops and turn to coat. Cover or seal and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Drain, discarding marinade; place chops in a shallow ungreased baking pan. Cover and bake at 375° for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine sauce ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring until smooth. Brush over both sides of the chops. Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes longer or until pork is no longer pink and glaze is lightly browned.
Originally published as Barbecued Pork Chops in Country April/May 1998