Badger State Stuffing
Your family will love the contrasting sweet, savory, and slightly tart flavors in this spin on a Thanksgiving classic. Feel free to use your favorite beer or dried fruit to make the dish your own. —Andrea Fetting, Franklin, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 1/2 pound bacon strips, diced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 cup chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- 1 cup chopped carrot (about 4 medium carrots)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1/2 cup amber beer or chicken broth
- 5 cups cubed sourdough bread (1/2-inch cubes)
- 1 cup dried cherries or dried cranberries
- 1 large egg
- 1-1/4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, stirring occasionally. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels. Discard drippings, reserving 3 tablespoons in pan.
- Add mushrooms, onion, celery and carrot to drippings; cook and stir over medium-high heat until tender, 8-10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in sauerkraut and beer. Bring to a boil; cook, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half.
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes, cherries, bacon and sauerkraut mixture. In a small bowl, whisk egg, broth, parsley, poultry seasoning and pepper. Gradually stir into bread mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. Bake, covered, 20 minutes. Uncover; bake until lightly browned, 30-35 minutes longer. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 271 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 39mg cholesterol, 700mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 3g fiber), 9g protein.
Originally published as Badger State Stuffing in Taste of Home November 2018
Nov 2, 2018
I really like this recipe. I doubled the celery and cut the kraut in half. I stuffed the bird with the cooked dressing the last half hour of cooking time to soak uo all those internal juices.