Avocado-Orange Spinach Toss
Baby spinach, mandarin oranges and avocado are teamed in this refreshing springtime salad from Margaret O'Bryon of Bel Air, Maryland. You can also substitute fresh orange slices for the mandarin oranges.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Dash salt
- 6 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 small cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, peeled and sliced
- For dressing, in a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients.
- Place the spinach in a large salad bowl; top with oranges, cucumber and avocado. Drizzle with dressing and gently toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1-1/4 cups: 71 calories, 4g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 38mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 fat, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Spinach -Avocado Orange Toss in Country Woman March/April 2006
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.