Apple Brandy Pecan Cake
My favorite apple cake is made with a shot of brandy and drizzled with caramel to set off the wonderful flavors. If alcohol is a no-go, use orange juice instead of apple brandy. If you'd rather go the chocolate route, add mini chocolate chips to the cake and use chocolate ice cream topping for the drizzle. —Nancy Heishman, Las Vegas, Nevada
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons apple brandy
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled cored and chopped, about 3 cups
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- Hot caramel ice cream topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 13x9-in. baking pan.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until well blended, about 3 minutes. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in applesauce and brandy. In another bowl, whisk flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg; gradually add to butter mixture. Fold in apples and pecans.
- Transfer to prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40-50 minutes. Cool completely. If desired, top with caramel topping.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 223 calories, 10g fat (4g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 201mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Applesauce Brandy Pecan Cake with Caramel Drizzle in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2019