Almond Snack Mix
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
- 1 package (17.6 ounces) Rice Chex
- 2-3/4 cups sliced almonds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 3/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- Place cereal and almonds in a large bowl; set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup and butter. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until a candy thermometer reads 250° to 266° (hard-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in extract. Pour over cereal mixture; mix well. Spread onto waxed paper-lined baking sheets; cool. Toss to break apart. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteWe recommend that you test your candy thermometer before each use by bringing water to a boil; the thermometer should read 212°. Adjust your recipe temperature up or down based on your test.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 316 calories, 14g fat (5g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 324mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Dec 11, 2016
My son and husband LOVE this snack mix. I was afraid of using a candy thermometer but it worked out well. Will make this year after year.
Nov 30, 2010
Oh so good! Once you start munching you can't stop. When I made 2nd batch, I added 1/2 cup of flaked coconut after cereal mixture was coated. Great addition.
Nov 9, 2010
My kids and grandchildren love this recipe. We make it often
Sep 25, 2010
Made this for my kids years ago when it first came out in the magazine. DS called yesterday to request another batch. :)
Jul 19, 2010
My husband and I both liked this very much.It is a great snack!
Jul 15, 2010
This recipe is such a family favorite that my brother-in-law requested that I make it for his birthday gift. It is a great snack food that you cant just eat a little bit of. It is addicting.
Dec 21, 2009
I made the mistake of doubling it - too much to mix while hot. I also want to try it with vanilla and almonds. Everyone really liked it. I will make it again, in smaller batch...
Nov 8, 2009
My family loves snack mixes and this is one of their top favourites. We will be making this many more times.
Sep 18, 2009
I made this and my family loved it. Its easy and Yummy. I also make it and pour it over popped corn too!
Dec 14, 2008
Our family LOVES this snack mix. I add white chocolate chips after mixing. Wonderful almond flavor.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.