The 11 Best Blankets of 2023, According to Our Tests
Whether you're looking for the perfect throw or the ultimate cozy essential to calm anxiety after a long day, here are the best blankets, according to our tests.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
NANCY SNYDER/TASTE OF HOME, MADI KOETTING/TASTE OF HOME, CAITLYN FITZPATRICK/TASTE OF HOME
Blankets are more than just a cozy piece of fabric to wrap up in when the weather gets chilly. The best blankets aren’t just soft and plush, they’re breathable, stylish, boast a delicate weight to soothe stress and maybe offer a cooling effect. Whether you’re looking for a chic throw to grace the bed or a fleece-style fabric to keep warm and toasty during extreme winter weather, choosing the right blanket is essential. After all, not all blankets are created equal, and they come in different patterns, textures and sizes. Read on for our top recommendations for the best blankets, according to our tests.
Bonus: They make wonderful winter gifts!
The Best Blankets
- Best Overall: ChappyWrap Harborview Herringbone Blanket
- Best Budget: Bedsure Sherpa Fleece Blanket
- Best for Families/Couples: Big Blanket Co. Original Stretch Blanket
- Best for Year-Round Use: Barefoot Dreams CozyChic Throw Blanket
- Best Throw: Quince Cotton Fisherman Throw
- Best Weighted: Brooklinen Weighted Throw Blanket
- Best Cotton: Boll & Branch Knit Throw Blanket
- Best Chunky Knit: Bearaby Cotton Napper
- Best Bamboo: Cozy Earth Bamboo Blanket
- Best Waffle Knit: Saatva Waffle Knit Blanket
- Best Cooling: Dangtop Cooling Blanket
ChappyWrap Harborview Herringbone Blanket
What if we told you there’s a blanket that’s truly pill- and fuzz-resistant while delicately cozy enough for every activity? Yes, it exists, and the secret is a ChappyWrap blanket. “As one of the best blankets, this is the first one I’ve owned that combines luxury with functionality,” says Senior Shopping Editor, Nancy Snyder.
“Previously, I always sacrificed one for the other. The material (which is a blend of cotton, acrylic and polyester) and finished edges make it soft yet durable—perfect for movie night or draped at the foot of a bed. And because it’s machine washable, it’s both pet- and kid-friendly. Not to mention it’s perfect to pack for a picnic or camping trip.”
“The ChappyWrap comes in many versatile and stylish patterns and colors, but I’m a sucker for a reversible herringbone design,” adds Nancy. “The blanket holds up in the washer and dryer (tumble dry on low heat), and has shown zero signs of pilling, fading or fuzz.” Talk about a win-win!
- Luxurious yet functional
- Fuzz-, pilling- and shrinking-resistant
- Perfect for snuggling or draped over the bottom of a queen-size bed
- Various patterns and colors
- Machine washable
- Offers the perfect amount of warmth and heaviness to be used during any season
- Family-owned, female-run business
- On the pricey side, but this durable blanket holds up well after lots of use
- Your family and friends might steal it!
Bedsure Sherpa Fleece Throw Blanket
At under $20, not only does our best budget pick boast an attractive price point, but it’s also our favorite accessory for both cozy evenings spent indoors and extreme winter weather conditions. “Living in the Midwest during the polar vortex of 2013 gave me a whole new appreciation for the humble blanket,” says Deputy Shopping Editor, Reina Galhea. “So when I pulled the Bedsure Sherpa Fleece Throw Blanket out of its packaging, I was cautiously optimistic. The ultra-soft feel on both the sherpa bottom and velvet flannel top elicited an instant ‘ooh,’ but the weight felt a little light.”
“Pinching one layer, I could easily feel my fingers pressing together through the fabric,” explains Reina. “However, testing the blanket eliminated my worry about it being too thin. This super fuzzy throw locks in warmth—in fact, I sometimes got too warm while wrapped in it (which is a feat for my perpetually frozen extremities). The quality held up through a month of daily use—no pilling or shedding, and no shrinkage or texture change after washing and tumble drying.”
“My one complaint is that this blanket does hold odors, so expect more frequent cleaning,” adds Reina. “Well, I do have another complaint: I can no longer use this blanket because my very shrewd tabby has claimed it as his own.” File it under the best cozy gifts for the homebody on your list this holiday season.
- Affordable price point
- Super soft sherpa fabric is a dream to cuddle up in
- Great heat retention for chilly nights
- Machine washable
- Safe to tumble dry
- Comes in 25+ colors and four sizes
- Requires frequent washing (tends to hold odors)
- Lightweight fabric feels thin at first, though it does keep you warm
Best for Families and Couples
Big Blanket Co.
Some blankets just simply aren’t big enough. Whether you’re in search of the ultimate cozy accessory for the whole family to enjoy or you live with a blanket hog (or maybe you’re the culprit), we firmly believe everyone needs a larger-than-life throw so that everyone rests easy—and we found just the answer.
“I’ll admit it: I’m a blanket hog,” says Senior Shopping Editor, Katie Bandurski. “Whenever I settle in for a movie night, I inadvertently pull the cozy fabric off my husband and onto myself. Oops. Well, thanks to Big Blanket, my selfish tendencies matter no more.”
“This 10×10-foot blanket (10×10 feet!) is massive and more than covers the both of us,” adds Katie. “In my testing, I was awed by the velvety soft fabric and plush, slightly weighted feel. It’s the ideal blanket for lounging on the couch, snuggling or even building a blanket fort. Plus, it’s machine washable. I was nervous its ample size wouldn’t fit in my washer or would damage the motor with its weight. However, it washed up beautifully with no strain on my machine. After two cycles of drying, it was as good as new. I trust this blanket will last for a very long time.”
- Absolutely massive size for individual or shared snuggling
- Soft, velvety fabric that boasts a plush, slightly weighted feel
- Truly machine washable, despite its size
- Plenty of fun colors and patterns
- Includes storage bag for out-of-season stashing
- On the heavier side, some users may find it hard to maneuver
- Difficult to fold
- On the pricey side, but it’s worth considering multiple people can enjoy it at once
Best Year-Round Blanket
Barefoot Dreams CozyChic Blanket
ICYMI: Barefoot Dreams makes some of the most iconic blankets—and it’s clear why. “Once you’ve snuggled under this super soft Barefoot Dreams throw, it will be a little luxury you reach for every. single. day.” shares Senior Shopping Editor, Caroline Lubinsky.
“Yes, the quality and softness are that nice. I would call this an oversized throw, which was a very welcome surprise when I unfolded it the first time. This is just the right weight for snuggling—it’s in between a weighted blanket and a loose-weave throw. As the temperature drops, I plan to keep it on my bed for sleeping. However, during the summer, it’s more for snuggles.”
As for how it holds up through multiple washes and with dogs around to cuddle up with it? “This blanket didn’t pill, even with two little dogs joining in on snuggle time,” adds Caroline. “This is a quality blanket, so I handled it with care. I desperately wanted it to stay soft and fluffy, so I washed it in cold water on the delicate cycle as directed. I let it air dry and used the fluff cycle (no heat) for a few minutes. I’m happy to confirm the blanket is still as soft as day one with no shrinkage—and that’s without using fabric softener or dryer sheets. I would definitely recommend purchasing one for yourself or as a gift—you won’t regret it!”
- Perfect combination of soft and not too heavy for year-round enjoyment
- Perfect for snuggling
- Machine washable
- Too heavy for sleeping under in the summer—but still ideal for snuggling with
- On the pricey side
Best Throw Blanket
Quince Fisherman Throw Blanket
If there’s one thing about me, it’s that I’m always trying to up the hygge factor of my living room. In search of an accessory to dress up my white couch and function as an emotional support blanket, I scooped up this woven terracotta throw blanket from Quince. And let me tell you, this is the queen of all throw blankets. Not only does the woven texture offer a timeless look worthy of displaying on the couch, bed or armchair—the cotton throw has a delicate weight perfect for cuddling up with at any time of the year (read: no night sweats!).
I’ve tested this blanket for about two months and I’m impressed by how well the woven texture has held up. It has never once pilled, frayed or fallen apart—and that says a lot considering my puppy is constantly scratching and chewing on it. A good throw blanket should be more than just eye candy, and I can confidently say my Quince blanket delivers.
- Luxurious and functional
- Woven texture holds up through natural wear and tear
- Attractive price point for the quality of blanket
- 100% cotton
- Available in four colors
- Dry clean only
Best Weighted Blanket
Brooklinen Weighted Throw Blanket
Though many of our best blankets boast a calming weight to them, a true weighted blanket boasts a special ‘oomph’ to ease anxiety and stress. “I’ve never experienced a weighted blanket before, but the Brooklinen Weighted Throw Blanket has converted me to the practice,” raves Associate Shopping Editor, Sheri Kaz.
“And I’m not exaggerating when I say I sleep with it nightly. The effect of the weight helps me unwind and quickly grounds me into a deep sleep. It’s a very generous size and weight for a throw, it’s more like a twin-size quilt,” adds Sheri. “The cotton is soft and surprisingly breathable even on a hot night. It’s shocking how cool I sleep even with a 12-pound blanket. I tried to go without it for a few nights, but I’m addicted to it.”
Can you say, life-changing? By the way, here’s how to wash a weighted blanket.
- Calming and cooling weight
- Weighs 12-pounds
- Breathable cotton
- Beautiful color and texture
- Dry clean only
- Not intended for use with a duvet
- Young children and pets should not sleep under it
Best Cotton Blanket
Boll & Branch Knit Throw Blanket
The benefits of cotton blankets are endless. They’re breathable, lightweight and most importantly, ultra-soft. However, not all cotton blankets are created equal. For a high-quality cotton blanket that holds up with lots of love, organic cotton is your best bet—and we found just the one.
“If you’re looking to cozy up by the fireplace this fall, you need Boll & Branch’s knit throw blanket,” says Senior Shopping Editor, Daria Smith. “Engineered from 100% long-staple organic cotton, it measures 50×70 inches. The branch knit design is inspired by nature, intertwined with a classic cable knit—it’s timeless for staying warm season after season. The classic cable knit is cooling while maintaining a heavy weight for warmth. When not in use, I drape this throw over a chair for aesthetic functionality.”
“I washed the blanket in cold water with scent-free detergent (no fabric softener) by itself and tumbled dry on low,” adds Daria. “Then, I laid it out on a drying rack to air dry. After two washes, it’s even softer than the first day I received it.”
- 100% Fair Trade-certified organic cotton
- Timeless classic knit style
- Uber cozy feel, soft to touch
- Thick weight for warmth yet has a slight cooling effect
- Machine washable; gets softer over time
- Doesn’t fold evenly for draping
Best Chunky Knit Blanket
Bearaby Cotton Napper
There’s just something about chunky knits that makes us feel all warm and fuzzy inside. Combining the calming feel of weighted blankets with a chunky knit fabric, the Bearaby Cotton Napper is what sweet dreams are made of.
“This chunky knit blanket arrived as the weather cooled down, so I immediately put it to work,” says Associate Shopping Editor, Emily Way. “The 10-pound weighted cotton knit perfectly complements my quiet mornings reading on the couch with a cup of tea. I’m a hot sleeper who’s skeptical of weighted blankets, but sleeping with my Bearaby completely melts away my anxiety from the day. Between the breathable buttery-soft cotton and airy loop-knit style, I never once woke up sweating.”
Choose from five blanket weights and several soothing colorways. Sweet dreams!
- Soft, breathable organic long-staple cotton
- Available in five, soothing blanket weights
- Machine washable
- Comes in a variety of colors
- Top-load washers not recommended for weighted blankets
- Drying takes 3-4 cycles on low
- Line drying stretches out the loops
Best Bamboo Blanket
Cozy Earth Bamboo Throw Blanket
This do-it-all bamboo beauty is the cozy accessory every home needs. “If you want a blanket that you can cuddle up with for a movie night and don’t need to hide away in the closet once it’s over, meet Cozy Earth’s bamboo throw blanket,” says Senior Shopping Editor, Caitlyn Fitzpatrick. “For a blanket that folds down to a compact size, I’m pleasantly surprised by its weight, making it ideal for chilly evenings lounging on the couch or adding to your side of the bed for an extra plush layer.”
“Since my initial tests, I’ve washed this Cozy Earth throw twice,” adds Caitlyn. “Bonus: it’s safe in your washer and dryer and it feels even softer than the day I got it. Plus, it hasn’t shrunk or pilled. This blanket is a bit of a splurge, but with the quality and chic design, it’s one you’ll want to keep out all. year. long.”
- Made from temperature-regulating bamboo viscose material
- Ideal for all activities, any time of year
- Folds down to a compact size
- Machine washable
- Simple, yet chic, design
- Only available in one color
- On the pricey side, but it’s worth it for the quality
Best Waffle Knit Blanket
Saatva Waffle Knit Blanket
Aside from looking super chic and cozy, waffle knit blankets are more than aesthetically pleasing. The waffle texture actually helps regulate body temperature, so if you suffer from night sweats or simply run hot, this type of blanket is a welcome addition. “If you’re looking for a lightweight, waffle-knit blanket that’s perfect for year-round use, then the Saatva Waffle Knit Blanket is what you need,” says Associate Shopping Editor, Mary Henn.
“Made of 100% cotton, the brand claims it gets softer after every wash,” adds Mary. “Yes, it’s true—I’ve already washed (and dried) mine a few times and my blanket is in beautiful condition. The lightweight waffle-weave cotton throw isn’t plush, but it’s soft and won’t make you overheat. I drape mine on the sofa, so it gets a lot of love from pets and humans, and it continuously looks as good as new!”
- Waffle-knit design regulates body temperature
- 100% long-staple cotton
- Holds up after repeated use and several washes
- Multiple size and color options
- Machine washable
- On the pricey side
Best Cooling Blanket
Dangtop Cooling Bamboo Blanket
Hot sleepers (and anyone who runs uncomfortably hot in general), listen up. Cooling blankets are truly one of the greatest inventions, and if you’re not taking advantage of their magic, take this as your sign to convert and ditch night sweats for good.
“The Dangtop cooling blanket is lightweight, soft and the perfect density,” says Associate Shopping Editor, Andrea Carillo. “I’ve had it for a few months now and I love that the porous bamboo fibers help filter air to keep me cool. Plus, it comes in multiple colors to match your aesthetic (I went with lavender and it adds the perfect touch to my bedding).”
“Unfortunately, the pilling is evident after frequent use and a few washes (I also forgot to air dry it once). But I put heavy emphasis on ‘frequent use’ because I use it on my bed, as a movie night essential and as a lounging blanket—it’s that good!”
- Bamboo fibers keep the fabric cool
- Lightweight blanket
- Affordable price point
- Available in eight colors and four sizes
- Includes a laundry bag
- Pills and snags easily
- Needs to be vertically air-dried to prevent shrinking
What to Look for When Buying the Best Blankets
Not all blankets are created equal, and it’s important to keep in mind the following considerations when shopping for the best blanket for your home, family and needs:
- Material: For a blanket that will hold up wash after wash (and that’s sustainable), opt for 100% cotton or a cotton blend. Or, if you’re a hot sleeper, opt for cooling and breathable fabrics like bamboo.
- Size/Versatility: While the standard throw blanket size is 50×60 inches, sometimes you want a blanket with a little extra room for snuggling. Before shopping, think about how you’ll enjoy the blanket. Are you wishing for something extra big for the whole family to snuggle with? What about a compact yet foldable throw you can easily stash away? Several highly recommended blankets come in multiple sizes perfect for every need and activity.
- How to wash: Depending on the fabric, some blankets are more high maintenance than others. If you prefer a low-maintenance, easy-to-freshen-up blanket, carefully read the care instructions to ensure it’s machine washable. Many high-quality blankets are dry clean only, which is okay, but it requires extra care.
Why You Should Trust Us
As a home-obsessed shopping editor with 6+ years of experience writing for various print and digital lifestyle publications including Better Homes & Gardens, Reader’s Digest, The Family Handyman and Taste of Home, I’m constantly testing the best homewares to help readers level up their space. I go the extra mile in my testing (like dumping coffee on my white couch or machine washing a dry clean-only blanket) to ensure I only recommend the absolute best products. Cozy home decor, cleaning and organizing are truly like therapy for me, so I take a fine-toothed comb in my product research to discover truly life-changing essentials.
How We Found the Best Blankets
I know, I know—how exactly do you test a blanket? Because the cozy home essential comes in all shapes, sizes, fabrics and textures, we thoroughly tested over 30 different kinds to find the absolute best blankets. We prioritized testing blankets in the standard throw size (50×60). Our editors snuggled with and slept under these blankets for 30 days to test their overall weight and feel, versatility and how they hold up after rigorous enjoyment and washing. The best blankets were selected based on overall quality, how well they wash up, value for the price and problem-solving features.