8 Best Fire Pits for Every Backyard
These top-rated fire pits instantly turn ordinary yards into neighborhood hot spots.
Our editors and experts handpick every product we feature. We may earn a commission from your purchases.
Fire pits are a glowing focal point of outdoor spaces and complement any style of patio furniture. They’re easy to set up and use, and make your space usable year-round. We found the best fire pit options for every type of yard, style and budget.
What to Look for When Buying a Fire Pit
There are so many fire pits from which to choose, so use the type of fuel you plan to burn as your guiding factor. Fire pits typically burn wood, but several modern options offer propane and gas-burning logs. Choosing your fuel source boils down to personal preference, but one thing remains universal: You want to keep sparks contained. It’s important to look for models with high, fire-proof containment walls and materials, much like with outdoor pizza ovens. Look for materials like copper, ceramic, ceramic-coated metals, stone, cement or brick. These offer the safest backyard fires with durability that easily lasts for years.
The Best Fire Pits
- Best Smokeless Fire Pit: Solo Stove Bonfire
- Best Propane Fire Pit: Cuisinart Chimenea Fire Pit
- Best Tabletop Fire Pit: TerraFlame Concrete Tabletop Fire Bowl
- Best Fire Pit Table: SunVilla Rectangular Concrete Fire Pit
- Best Portable Fire Pit: TIKI Brand Portable Fire Pit
- Best Fire Pit Ring: Mainstays Metal Fire Ring
- Best Fire Pit Grill: Breeo X Series 19 Smokeless Fire Pit
- Best Indoor Fire Pit: Colsen Concrete Indoor Fire Pit
Best Smokeless Fire Pit
Solo Stove Bonfire
The Solo Stove Bonfire makes building a clean-burning backyard easier than ever. This updated model comes in three colors to suit every outdoor space’s style. What really sets it apart from the pack is the removable ash pan that makes cleanup a total breeze.
You don’t need any special tools or gear. Just allow the device to cool after you’ve finished enjoying the fire, slide out the ash pan and dump it! And yes, ash is one of the things you can compost in small to moderate amounts without worry. Our editors love this fire pit so much that they named it a summer essential.
These fire pits also feature 360-degree airflow technology that allows for a smokeless, clean-burning fire, and they are fully encased in durable stainless steel. This ensures better safety and simple cleanup, plus years of worry-free use. Next, read our Solo Stove pizza oven review.
- Smoke-free, clean-burning fires thanks to 360-degree airflow system
- Easy setup
- Available in three colors
- Removable ashtray makes cleanup quick
- 4.9 stars from nearly 15,000 reviews
- Worry-free stainless steel encasement
- Pricier than some other options
Best Propane Fire Pit
Cuisinart Chimenea Fire Pit
Forget the wood and go straight to effortless propane with this vintage-inspired Cuisinart chimenea fire pit that works just as nicely on a patio as on a deck. It emits reflective heat from the aluminum plate and residual heat through the eight pounds of charming lava rocks at its base. That means this is one of the best fire pits for colder nights—it’ll really keep you warm!
It also holds a 20-pound propane tank that allows for nine to 15 hours of burn time depending on your settings. And reviewers note how brilliant the insulated hideaway panel is in the rear of the heater. Bonus: This 40,000 BTU chimenea-style fire pit also has a flame failure cut-off switch for safety.
- 20-pound propane tank for nine to 15 hours of burn time
- Clean-burning propane gas without messy ash or char
- 40,000 BTUs
- Offers both reflective and residual heat that really keeps you warm
- Stainless steel encasement
- Flame failure cut-off switch for safety
- Somewhat heavy at about 45 pounds
Best Tabletop Fire Pit
TerraFlame Concrete Tabletop Fire Bowl
You don’t need a large setup or expansive yard to experience all the joys of fire pits. This TerraFlame concrete tabletop fire bowl comes in six colors. Just place it at the center of your patio table, use a match or electric lighter to ignite one of the included flammable gel cans and enjoy the warming ambiance.
It’s a low-profile fire option that features 3,000 BTUs and makes a conversation-starting centerpiece your guests won’t soon forget. It’s also an affordable find and one of the best things to buy on Wayfair.
- Diameter of just under 11″ means it fits neatly on most outdoor dining and coffee tables
- Comes in six neutral colors to match most decor styles
- Made of fire-safe cement
- No wood or gas necessary—this fire pit relies on affordable flammable gel cans that emit nearly no smoke
- Only 3,000 BTUs means it won’t give off enough heat to warm guests in the depths of cooler seasons.
Best Fire Pit Table
SunVilla Rectangular Concrete Fire Pit
The SunVilla rectangular concrete fire pit is the ideal hybrid between a warming, cozy fire pit and a perfect outdoor coffee table. This 59-inch sleek, low-profile wonder is made of durable magnesium oxide and powder-coated steel.
The 50,000 BTU burner relies on a 20-pound propane tank outside the pit itself and offers ideal toastiness on cool summer evenings and November nights alike. Glass beads radiate heat from the inner chamber, while the exterior displays a timeless gray stone finish that meshes well with both modern decor. The flame is also adjustable, thanks to an easy-to-use knob.
- Coffee-table size with an inner fire-pit chamber
- Metal alloy stands up to the elements and is naturally fire-retardant
- 50,000 BTUs of hand-warming heat
- Fits nicely with most outdoor furniture styles
- Adjustable flame and quick lighting
- 20-pound propane tank requires dedicated exterior space
Best Portable Fire Pit
TIKI Brand Portable Fire Pit
Take this 21.5-inch TIKI Brand portable fire pit with you on the road, or to campsites, cookouts and more. The powder-coated stainless steel finish neatly contains logs, sticks and pellets with ease while keeping fire-lovers safe.
Reviewers love the large flame and low smoke of this unit, which also features a removable ash tray for quick, on-the-go cleanup. The portable design has built-in handles for foolproof carrying, and the four-foot heat radius makes it a total win for small gatherings. (We’re equally smitten with the TIKI mosquito lights that keep bugs at bay.)
“Wow. This is one impressive little fire pit,” shares Amazon reviewer, The Final Test. “It’s very heavy for its size. I like to think that’s a good thing—nice solid construction… The best thing with this fire pit is that you can also burn standard logs in it. It still stays fairly smokeless, even when burning logs. It comes with a very nice, snug cover, too!”
- Built-in handles
- Sleek, modern design
- Four-foot heat radius
- Multiple fuel source options
- Low smoke
- Easy cleaning, thanks to a removable ashtray
- More expensive than other comparable models on the market
- On the heavier side
Best Fire Pit Ring
Mainstays Metal Fire Ring
Cheap and cheerful is the name of the game with this Mainstays metal fire ring. At under $40, it’s the most affordable fire pit accessory on our list. Simply sink it into the ground around a cleared area or set it on top of bricks. It has a no-frills metal lattice design and 36-inch diameter. The lattice enables just the right amount of airflow without allowing sparks to fly. Reviewers note that assembly takes “just a minute or two” and doesn’t require any tools.
- 36-inch diameter
- Metal frame
- Lattice design encourages airflow while keeping sparks contained
- Affordable price point
- Assembly is fast and doesn’t require any tools
- No-frills design means no extras, such as table space, flame control, etc.
Best Fire Pit Grill
Breeo X Series 19 Smokeless Fire Pit
The Breeo X Series 19 smokeless fire pit comes with a sleek stainless steel exterior (for an up-charge) or a rich, rust-colored patina. It also connects with the brand’s Outpost grilling system to turn your fire pit into an all-in-one outdoors experience just waiting for burgers, hot dogs, veggies and other mouth-watering grilled recipes.
The ability to both enjoy the fire and cook hearty meals made this model a total winner in our Breeo fire pit review. These fire pits are made in America and come with a lifetime warranty you can feel good about. Plus, the brand offers free shipping on all fire pit orders.
- Compatible with the brand’s Outpost grilling system attachments
- 22-inch diameter means it fits nicely on patios and in smaller spaces
- Robust heat
- Smokeless flow
- Two exterior finishes
- The stainless steel finish costs significantly more than the patina version
Best Indoor Fire Pit
Colsen Concrete Indoor Fire Pit
The tabletop design of this small concrete fire pit makes it a favorite for both indoor and outdoor use. It’s an elegant way to add warmth and flair to a chic dining area, and it’s a smokeless cinch to use.
Fuel it with rubbing alcohol (yes, the kind you can buy at the drugstore for pennies per ounce). It’s a mess-free, compact option that burns for nearly an hour without refilling. It keeps you rolling in indoor s’mores year-round, and it’s tiny enough to take on the go.
- Ideal for both indoor and outdoor use
- Compact concrete design that’s sturdy enough to use for years but also easy to take on the go
- Burns rubbing alcohol
- Smokeless and odorless
- No cleanup, thanks to ash-free burning
- Only has about an hour of burn time
- Some reviewers note a funky smell for the first burn, but it goes away quickly
How We Found the Best Fire Pits
As shopping experts, our only job is to help you find a winning product. We start with the research and reporting basics—what products are made of, what they look like and how much they cost—to ensure that we’re only recommending the buys that are worth your time and money.
Then, we research the features that speak to the product’s quality, taking advice from industry insiders and subject matter experts on what makes a product a smart value (or worthy of a splurge). Finally, we do the work of combing through user reviews to see how real people interact with the product, and if it stands up to the test.
Is a fire pit worth it?
If you love spending time outdoors, choosing one of the best fire pits for your yard, patio or deck is definitely worth it. They come in different sizes, prices, styles and maintenance levels to suit every fire-lover’s needs. Fire pits are also the place to make your favorite camping recipes year-round.
Can you put a fire pit on grass?
That depends on the type of fire pit you choose. If you opt for a fully encased fire pit with either support legs or a fire-proof bottom, sure! Just know the heat that your fire pit radiates might damage plant life around and below it.
If you’re looking to preserve your lawn, it’s probably best to move your fire pit to an area paved with concrete, brick, stone or another non-living, hard surface. Psst! Adding a bit of leftover ash to your mulch at the end of the growing season can actually be helpful, though.
What type of fire pit is best?
Choosing the best fire pit for you depends on where you plan to light your fires, how much space you have and the type of material you plan to burn. If you have a giant yard or low budget, a simple fire ring might work best. If you’re working with a deck or a more robust budget, a propane-fueled option might be a better fit for your lifestyle. The good news? There’s a fire pit for whatever your space looks like!
Want more fun product picks and money-saving deals from our shopping experts and Test Kitchen? Sign up for the Stuff We Love newsletter.