My dad is from Yorkshire and we frequently enjoy British fare. After trying a similar meat pie while visiting relatives back home, I searched for a recipe I could make myself.—Jill Atkins, Edmonton, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup canned mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 can (10-1/4 ounces) beef gravy, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add vegetables and 1/4 cup of gravy; set aside. Place butter in a 10-in. pie plate and place in a 425° oven until melted. In a bowl, beat milk and eggs. Add flour, salt and pepper; mix until smooth. Pour into prepared pie plate. Spoon meat mixture to within 1 in. of edge. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until edges are puffed and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat water, Worcestershire sauce and remaining gravy. Serve with the pie.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 421 calories, 16g fat (8g saturated fat), 170mg cholesterol, 1052mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 3g fiber), 27g protein.
Originally published as Yorkshire Pie in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook-Book
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.