My dad is from Yorkshire and we frequently enjoy British fare. After trying a similar meat pie while visiting relatives back home, I searched for a recipe I could make myself.—Jill Atkins, Edmonton, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 3/4 pound ground beef
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup canned mixed vegetables, drained
- 1 can (10-1/4 ounces) beef gravy, divided
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add vegetables and 1/4 cup of gravy; set aside. Place butter in a 10-in. pie plate and place in a 425° oven until melted. In a bowl, beat milk and eggs. Add flour, salt and pepper; mix until smooth. Pour into prepared pie plate. Spoon meat mixture to within 1 in. of edge. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until edges are puffed and a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Meanwhile, in a saucepan, heat water, Worcestershire sauce and remaining gravy. Serve with the pie.