Toffee Apple French Toast with Caramel Syrup
When I was growing up, I loved waking up to the scent of French toast. I have adapted my mom's oven-baked version of he recipe to include one of my other all-time much loved treats; a caramel apple. —Suzanne Forsberg, Manteca, California
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing
Makes12 servings (1-1/2 cups syrup)
- 8 cups cubed French bread
- 3 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 envelope (.74 ounce) instant spiced cider mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1-3/4 cups 2% milk, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate English toffee bits
- 5 eggs
- CARAMEL SYRUP:
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place half of the bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with apples and sprinkle with cider drink mix. In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, sugars, 1/4 cup milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Stir in toffee. Spread over apples. Top with remaining bread cubes.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs and remaining milk and vanilla. Pour over top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup and baking soda. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture turns a golden amber color, about 7 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Serve with French toast.
Nutrition Facts1 piece with 2 tablespoons syrup: 463 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 139mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 65g carbohydrate (51g sugars, 1g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Deep Dish Toffee Apple French Toast with Caramel Syrup in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.