Sesame Pound Cake
Jane Finney's seed-studded cake has a pleasant crunch. "It's wonderful garnished with fresh fruit," suggests this East Grand Forks, Minnesota cook.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds, toasted, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Fresh fruit, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine milk, vanilla and lemon zest; set aside. Reserve 1 tablespoon sesame seeds. Combine remaining sesame seeds with the flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9x5-in. loaf pan. Sprinkle with reserved sesame seeds. Bake at 325° for 60-70 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with fruit if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 391 calories, 23g fat (13g saturated fat), 136mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Sesame Pound Cake in Taste of Home August/September 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.