Savory Winter Soup
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
Makes14 servings (3-1/2 quarts)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup each diced carrots and celery
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onions over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
- Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on low until vegetables are tender, 6-8 hours.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 163 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 40mg cholesterol, 583mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 14g protein.
Sep 25, 2019
This is one of the best soups. It's fast to throw in the crockpot and cook all day. Along with carrots and celery I added parsnips. I added more seasonings just my personal taste. I've made this recipe for people after they have had been in the hospital and they have given it 5 stars too. Everyone needs to make this soup at least once in their life. You won't regret it.
Feb 11, 2018
Easy! Very simple and great tasting soup for a cold, winter day! We actually used bison in place of beef (and would definitely try venison too). We served with some fresh baked bread slices and it hit the spot!
Dec 2, 2016
This lends itself very well to fresh ground venison. We have a lot! For that i used a very hearty beef stock. Also easy to pile in a ton of veggies for the kids! Perfect in the crockpot! Will make again.
Jan 14, 2016
Very good and hearty winter soup added a quart of tomatoes,and cabbage and omitted potatoes add them when I take it out of freezer.i
May 9, 2015
Great soup might try adding cabbage. It's delicious either way.
Apr 12, 2014
I don t eat soup,but i tried this one tasted it and its simply delicious very good can t stop at one bowl.Try it you will not regret it : ) have fun
Oct 25, 2011
This is my second time making it. Such an easy recipe and is so good and healthy Definitely a keeper.
Jan 8, 2010
This soup is delicious. My family loved it. I like it because it is a great way to get your daily serving of veggies.
Nov 17, 2008
One nice thing about vegetable soup you can add any vegetable you have on hand. Use your imagination. This soup is a great starting point.
Jan 23, 2008
This is excellent with cabbage added. Make it simple--use 1 Cup Coleslaw. Also, a couple of teaspoons of dill weed is good!