Ribbon Pumpkin Bread
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min. + cooling
Makes2 loaves (14 slices each)
- 6 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 egg whites
- 1 cup pumpkin
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- For filling, combine the cream cheese, sugar, flour and egg whites in a bowl; set aside.
- In a bowl, beat the pumpkin, applesauce, egg, egg whites and oil. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and cloves; add to pumpkin mixture. Stir in walnuts.
- Divide half of the batter between two 8x4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Spread each with filling; top with remaining batter.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 107 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 116mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Oct 6, 2016
The cream cheese ribbon layer adds a special touch to this moist pumpkin bread. A favorite
Oct 17, 2013
Tastes good, I don't change anything except substitute pecans for the walnuts, both times I have made it, it came out very flat also....
Jan 20, 2013
Pretty good, my kids enjoyed this very much!
Oct 3, 2012
This is the best 'lite' pumpkin bread recipe out there. I make this every year by request.
Dec 22, 2011
The recipe I had included orange zest in the cream cheese layer. It came from a BEST BREADS recipe booklet I received years ago - at least 15yrs, - from Taste of Home.
Feb 27, 2011
Did not rise at all! I used 1-1/3 cup whole wheat flour and 1/3 cup all purpose flour, since that was all I had. I also only had about 1/3 cup applesauce. I ended up adding a lot more cinnamon and some pumpkin pie spice, otherwise it was too bland. I also didn't put in the ribbon or walnuts. It tasted fine but I was really disappointed in how flat it turned out.
Oct 14, 2010
Joene Bohlmann October 14, 2010Our Pastor Lori made this for Bible Study yesterday and all in our group really enjoyed it. Very moist and tasty. Can't wait to try it myself.
Sep 30, 2010
LOVE this recipe! I switched it up today - I skipped the ribbon altogether. For the batter, I substituted 2/3 c. of whole-wheat flour, I used three eggs instead of one whole egg and two whites, and I omitted the canola oil. A little extra pinch of soda, and I swapped the nuts for dried cranberries. AWESOME!
Aug 22, 2010
Made this 3 times so far. It is really good and has taken 1st place at the fairs i enter.
Aug 2, 2010
This was ok. I left out the ribbon of cream cheese and the bread had a nice flavor. I had to bake it twice as long as the recipe called fr though and the middle still wasn't entirely done but the rest was burning. All in all was good though. Just not my favorite.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.