Raspberry Ice Cream in a Bag
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups coarsely crushed ice
- 3/4 cup salt
- Using two 1-quart resealable plastic bags, place 1 bag inside the other. Place the first 5 ingredients inside the inner bag. Seal both bags, pressing out as much air as possible.
- Place the 2 bags in a gallon-size resealable plastic freezer bag. Add ice and salt. Seal bag, again pressing out as much air as possible.
- Shake and knead cream mixture until thickened, about 5 minutes. (If desired, wear mittens or wrap bags in a kitchen towel while shaking to protect hands from the cold ice.)
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 299 calories, 13g fat (9g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (32g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Apr 15, 2020
This was lovely! I had a virtual cooking lesson with my 6 year old niece who is struggling with quarantine right now, and we had a blast! I used a defrosted frozen mixed berry blend in place of raspberries, and she used fresh strawberries. My only complaint was that we had to use twice as much ice to get the ice cream to really freeze, but that was easily remedied! I might use less sugar next time and try out some other flavors. The texture was closer to a soft serve than standard ice cream, but I loved it!