Pink Peppercorn and Sake Ice Cream
There's plenty of sake flavor in this rich ice cream studded with peppercorns. You'll get an interesting pop of heat with every bite. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons whole pink peppercorns, crushed
- Dash salt
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sake
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat the milk, sugar, peppercorns and salt until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Quickly transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Stir in cream and sake. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.