Parsley Smashed Potatoes
I love potatoes but can't stand the work involved in making mashed potatoes from scratch. I came up with this simple side dish that was made even easier thanks to my slow cooker. The best part is I can use the leftover broth for soup the next day! —Katie Hagy, Blacksburg, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 16 small red potatoes (about 2 pounds)
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Additional minced fresh parsley
- Place potatoes, celery, carrot and onion in a 4-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, mix broth, parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and garlic; pour over vegetables. Cook, covered, on low 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
- Transfer potatoes from slow cooker to a 15x10x1-in. pan; discard cooking liquid and vegetables. Using the bottom of a measuring cup, flatten potatoes slightly. Transfer to a large bowl; drizzle with butter. Sprinkle with remaining salt and pepper; toss to coat. Sprinkle with additional parsley.
Nutrition Facts2 smashed potatoes: 114 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Originally published as Smashed Potatoes in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.