Oregon’s Best Marionberry Pie
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 65 min. + cooling
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 5 tablespoons shortening
- 4 tablespoons ice water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 cups fresh marionberries or blackberries
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar and salt; cut in butter and shortening until crumbly. Gradually add ice water and lemon juice, tossing with a fork until dough holds together when pressed. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, mix 1 cup sugar, tapioca and lemon juice. Add berries; toss to coat. Let stand 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 425°. On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond rim of plate.
- In a small bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and extracts; spread over prepared crust. Top with berry mixture.
- Roll out remaining dough to a 1/8-in.-thick circle; cut into 1/2-in.-wide strips. Arrange over filling in a lattice pattern. Trim and seal strips to edge of bottom pastry; flute edge. Brush lattice strips with cream; sprinkle with remaining sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven setting to 350°; bake 50-60 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. (Cover edges with foil during the last 15 minutes to prevent overbrowning if necessary.) Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 572 calories, 30g fat (15g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 478mg sodium, 71g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 4g fiber), 6g protein.
Oct 24, 2019
This is my go to recipe when making marion berry or blackberry pie. The cream cheese layer is absolutely delicious. You will be asked what's in this? I do add 1 extra tsp of tapioca when using frozen berries.
Feb 1, 2017
Step 3 is missing to add the 1 tbsp whipping cream. Otherwise a great recipe! Thank you! edit: I'm sorry, thanks for letting me know it is in step 4. I missed that!
Nov 19, 2016
What is a Marionberry. I lived in Oregon for a year and never heard of this berry. Is it similar to the Himalayan berry that we pecked there?
Jun 4, 2014
This is best pie I have ever made. Made for my mom for mother's day since she was born and raised in oregon. i used butter flavored shortening and was a better crust. everyone loved it.