Mixed Green Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette
This colorful salad is a bright and tasty introduction to a special meal. Dried cranberries and tart apples along with glazed walnuts and rich blue cheese add interest to the mix.—Gretchen Farr, Port Orford, Oregon
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 packages (5 ounces each) spring mix salad greens
- 1 medium tart apple, chopped
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup glazed walnuts
- 2/3 cup crumbled blue cheese
- In a small saucepan, combine the cranberries, sugar and water. Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly. Place the cranberry mixture, vinegar and mustard in a blender; cover and process until pureed. While processing, gradually add oil in a steady stream. Refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, in a large bowl, combine the salad greens, apple, cranberries and walnuts. Drizzle with 1 cup vinaigrette and toss to coat. Sprinkle with blue cheese. Serve with remaining vinaigrette.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 230 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 224mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Mixed Green Salad with Cranberry Vinaigrette in Country Woman December/January 2013