Melon with Serrano-Mint Syrup
This is just one of the recipes I developed to take advantage of the fresh mint I grow nearly year-round. The serrano pepper is a nice contrast to the sweetness of the syrup and salad. —Jennifer Fisher, Austin, Texas
Total TimeTakes: 30 min. + chilling
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon minced serrano pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 4 cups each cubed watermelon, cantaloupe and honeydew
- In a small saucepan, bring sugar, water, lemon juice, honey and serrano pepper to a boil; cook 3-5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat; stir in mint and lemon zest. Cool completely.
- Strain syrup; discard pepper, mint and lemon zest. In a large bowl, combine melons. Add syrup; gently toss to coat. Refrigerate, covered, at least 2 hours, stirring several times.