Mandarin Almond Salad
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 4 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 bunch red leaf lettuce, torn
- 1 can (11 ounces) mandarin oranges, drained
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- In a small skillet, melt 3 tablespoons sugar over low heat. Add almonds; stir until coated. Cool; break into small pieces and set aside. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine oil, vinegar, parsley, salt, pepper, hot pepper sauce and remaining sugar; shake well.
- Just before serving, combine lettuce, oranges, onion and almonds in a large salad bowl. Shake dressing; pour over salad and toss.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 209 calories, 14g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 214mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 31, 2016
My son said tonight, "This salad took me to a higher plain"! Perhaps a tad of an exaggeration but my husband and I loved it as well. Plain ol' lettuce and tomato salads can be boring--this one will be an elegant and different-tasting change for family or guests and not hard to put together. Wonderful flavor combinations and great colors for presentation.
Feb 23, 2014
Yummy easy salad. I already had candied almonds so just chopped them up. Didn't use hot sauce in the dressing and it was really good!
Aug 13, 2011
This salad is SOOO good. Every time I make it someone wants the recipe and quick too!
Oct 5, 2009
Simple, elegant salad. The extra effort with the almonds is worth it and gives the salad a special touch! I left out the hot sauce, though, since I don't like spicy.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.