Lemon Chip Muffins
The mellow flavor of these chocolate chip muffins is enhanced by sweet lemony topping. They're just right for a ladies' luncheon.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- In a bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in chocolate chips and lemon zest. Fill paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full.
- Bake at 375° for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Brush tops with lemon juice; sprinkle with remaining sugar. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 193 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 144mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Lemon Chip Muffins in Country Woman Christmas 2001
Feb 27, 2011
Excellent and super easy! I prefer them without the chocolate chips (which provides a wonderful full-lemon flavor!). Kids and adults love them - perfect size as mini-muffins for pre-K snacks.