Candied fruits give a stained-glass look to these cookies that taste like shortbread. —Ruth Ann Stelfox, Raymond, Alberta
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + freezing Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 pound butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1/2 cups raisins
- 1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup each chopped red and green candied cherries
- 1/2 cup chopped candied pineapple
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture. Stir in raisins, nuts, cherries and pineapple; mix well. Shape into 2-in. rolls; wrap in waxed paper or foil. Freeze at least 2 hours.
- Cut into 1/4-in. slices; place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 136 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 23mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Jeweled Cookies in Taste of Home December/January 1996
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.