Jack-o’-Lantern Sloppy Joe Pie
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup chili sauce
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg
- Orange paste food coloring
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. In a small bowl, combine the flour, salsa and chili sauce until blended; stir into skillet. Add the corn, chilies and brown sugar.
- Transfer to a deep-dish 9-in. pie plate. Unroll pastry; place over filling. With a sharp knife, cut out a face to resemble a jack-o'-lantern; flute edges. Beat egg and food coloring; brush over pastry.
- Bake at 450° for 9-11 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 428 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 764mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 25g protein.
Dec 27, 2017
Fun and tasty recipe for Halloween, but could adapt to other holidays. The food coloring to make it more orange wasn't a deal breaker. Would make again without that step.
Nov 8, 2016
Used pie crust on the bottom and one on top. Turned out well. Taste will really depend on your choice of chili sauce and salsa. Added some chili powder to give it a bit more of a kick.Will make again
Nov 3, 2015
This was delicious! I decided to use a top and bottom crust so it took a little longer to bake, about 20 minutes. I served it with a Greek salad for a filling dinner.
Nov 3, 2013
Tasted just like a sloppy joe! Very flavorful. I made this with a turkey imprint instead of the pumpkin and did not add in the orange food color.
Oct 9, 2012
Oct 27, 2010
deb_daken: Chili sauce is called "Chili Sauce" in a bottle. One brand name is Heinz. You can find in in the condiment aisle.
Oct 10, 2010
wish i woulve had food coloring! :( but it was yummy!
Oct 30, 2009
Such fun to make and what a fantastic tasty pie! I imagine you could make a "taco pie" with great results as well.
Oct 27, 2009
Great ingredient combo!
Oct 30, 2008
What did you use for the "chili sauce"? BBQ sauce? Tabasco? I'm planning on making it for Halloween - such a cute idea.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.