Heavenly Cherry Angel Food Trifle
Cherries are a major crop in New York. Each year, a cherry recipe contest is held to celebrate George Washington's birthday—and I won with this recipe! —Hyacinth Rizzo, Buffalo, New York
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling
- 5 cups angel food cake cubes
- 1/4 cup cherry liqueur, optional
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces frozen non-dairy whipped topping, thawed, divided
- 1/2 cup toasted chopped pecans
- 1 can (21 ounces) cherry filling or topping
- Place cake cubes in large bowl. Sprinkle with liqueur if desired; let stand 30 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine confectioners' sugar and cream cheese; beat until blended. Reserve 2 tablespoons whipped topping; fold remaining topping into cheese mixture. Stir topping mixture and pecans into cake cubes; mix well. Spoon cake mixture into a pretty glass or crystal bowl. Spread cherry filling evenly over top. Or, if desired, layer one-half cake mixture and cherry filling; repeat layers.) Cover; refrigerate at least 3 hours. Garnish servings with reserved topping.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 306 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (39g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Heavenly Cherry Angel Food Trifle in Country June/July 1990
Jan 30, 2018
I get so many compliments when I make this. I make mine in a 9x13 pan with a whole angle food cake torn into pieces and I leave out the liqueur.
Dec 23, 2012
A co-worker made this for a dessert at our work. I was a HIT!!!!