Creamy Skinny Pasta Casserole
Baked pasta is a favorite potluck dish, so I altered some of the ingredients in my traditional recipe to make it more calorie-friendly! Try it with ground beef, too! —Andrea Bolden, Unionville, Tennessee
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 12 ounces uncooked whole wheat penne pasta
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, divided
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- Minced fresh parsley and crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- Preheat oven to 400°. Cook pasta according to package directions for al dente. Drain, reserving 1/3 cup pasta water; return all to pot.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook and crumble chicken with onion, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder and remaining seasonings over medium-high heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes. Stir in tomatoes; bring to a boil. Add to pasta; toss to combine. Transfer to a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Mix cream cheese, sour cream, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and remaining garlic powder. Drop mixture by tablespoonfuls over pasta. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, until cheese is melted, 8-10 minutes. If desired, sprinkle with parsley and pepper flakes.
Test Kitchen tips
Health Tip: Whole wheat pasta is a great way to get whole grains into your daily diet. If the flavor is too strong for your family, try using half whole wheat and half regular pasta.
Nutrition Facts1-2/3 cups: 445 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 78mg cholesterol, 559mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 7g fiber), 33g protein.
Originally published as Creamy Skinny Baked Spaghetti Supreme in Simple & Delicious February/March 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.