- 1/4 c. plus 2 tbsp. of canola oil
- 4 large caps of portabella mushrooms cleaned with a damp kitchen towel and each cut to 1/8 - 1/10
- 1/2 tsp. of salt
- 3 gloves of garlic minced
- 2 tbsp. of fresh ginger minced
- 1 1/2 tsp. of red curry powder or red curry paste
- 8 oz. of unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. of fish sauce
- 2 lime leaves torn to pieces*
- 1 large granny smith apple cored and cut to 1/8
- For garnish:
- 1/4 c. of toasted peanuts coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c. of tightly packed fresh basil torn to pieces
- 1/4 c. of tightly packed fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1/4 c. of grape tomatoes cut 1/4
- 3 c. of cooked basmati rice
- 1. In a large sauce pan over moderately high heat put in 1/4 c. of oil. When oil shimmers put in portabella pieces. Sautee until lightly golden, about 3 - 4 min. Season with 1/4 tsp. of salt. Sautee for another min. Transfer mushrooms to a plate.
- 2. In same sauce pan put in 2 tbsp. of oil, garlic, ginger, and curry powder. Cook for 1 min. Add coconut milk, fish sauce, and lime leaves. Stir about 1 - 2 min. Put mushrooms back to sauce pan. Bring liquid to boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 min. Add apple and 1/4 tsp. of salt. Raise heat to medium and cook for 4 - 5 min. Remove pan from heat.
- 3. Pour portabella curry to a large serving bowl. Garnish with peanuts, basil, cilantro, and tomatoes.
- 4. To serve: spoon 3/4 c. of cooked rice on a plate. Ladle about 1 c. of portabella curry over rice. Repeat with remaining plates. Yield: serves 4
Reviews forPortabella Curry with Basmati Rice
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Apr. 30, 2009
"Preparation time: 20 min.Cooking time: 23 - 25 min."