I found the basics for this recipe on the Very Best Baking website and changed and added some ingredients in order to serve my family's needs best. As it has turned out, this has been a GREAT recipe when you need to eat something substantial in the summer, but don't want to heat up the kitchen! We've put many miles on this recipe!
- 2-1/2 lbs Red Potatoes, sliced
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 1/2 cup Onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp Flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 12 oz Evaporated Milk
- 1 cup Water
- 1 pkg Oscar Meyer Real Bacon Pieces
- 1 pkg Diced Ham (8-oz)
- 2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Slice the potatoes and boil for approximately 10 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add onions and cook until softened. Stir in the flour, salt & pepper. Add the milk, water, bacon & ham and cook until thickened (approximately 10 minutes).
- Remove from heat and stir in 1-1/2 cups of cheese, stirring in thoroughly.
- Place 1/2 of the potatoes in an ungreased 3-qt casserole dish. Pour 1/2 of the sauce over the top. Place remaining half of the potatoes in the dish and top with the remaining sauce. Top with remaining cheese.
- Microwave on HIGH for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Yield: serves 8