Colossal Batch of Oatmeal Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 13-1/2 dozen
- 2 cups butter, softened
- 3/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 3-1/4 cups packed brown sugar
- 1-1/4 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 6 cups quick-cooking oats
- 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (10 to 11 ounces) butterscotch chips
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a very large bowl, cream the butter, shortening and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla. Combine the oats, flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chips and pecans.
- Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 3 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 95 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 82mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
Feb 27, 2017
Are these soft or crisp cookies.
Oct 1, 2013
Excellent recipe! I only made half a recipe and used one bag of butterscotch chips and they turned out wonderful. I was able to get 90 cookies from half a recipe. Worth every second of my time and will be making them again and again!!!!!
Sep 14, 2013
Very good cookie, easy to add whatever extra ingredients you like. Bakes moist soft cookies. Plan to keep this recipe with my fsvorites?
Jan 30, 2013
My son-in-law loved these and has requested me to make them again. I left out the nuts. He likes to zap them in the microwave and eat warm.
Aug 13, 2012
are these hard or soft cookies when done?
May 31, 2011
These were wonderful! I did make a couple dozen plain and they were great! I did not put in the nuts just chips. I used a medium pampered chef scoop for mine and it made 8 dozen. Will be my oatmeal cookie recipe from now on!
May 24, 2011
Good cookies! Would this recipe work with no chips and only nuts? Would I have to modify other ingredients?
Jul 7, 2010
These are great oatmeal cookies! It makes a lot of cookies, plently to feed my teenage sons and their friends.It would be difficult to halve this recipe with the measurements, but could be done.I was worried that my mixer wasn't going to hold all the ingredients. I divided the dough and put some mini chocolate chips in one, nuts for me, and made some plain. All were great! Don't make these if you are dieting. There is a lot of fat and you can't just eat one!
Oct 26, 2009
I bring these to potlucks and they go so fast!Everyone loves them!!!!!
Sep 19, 2009
These were so delicious and made enough to refill the cookie jar three times. They freeze well, too. My kids loved that there were three varieties to choose from.