EVERY TIME I serve this simple but elegant dessert to guests, I have to give them the recipe, too. I found this dessert recipe in the early '50s and since then, it has earned a place in my tried-and-true file. I had to make adjustments to prepare it for two people, but it can be easily increased to serve any number. -Merval Harvey, Glennie, Michigan
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + freezing Cook: 5 min. + cooling
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 tablespoon sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- In a large saucepan, combine water and sugar. Bring to a boil over medium heat; boil for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool for 10 minutes. Stir in coconut and vanilla. Cool to room temperature.
- In a small bowl, beat cream until soft peaks form; fold into coconut mixture. Pour into dishes. Freeze 1 hour or overnight. Just before serving, sprinkle with almonds and coconut.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 433 calories, 33g fat (22g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 91mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Coconut Parfaits in Reminisce January/February 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.