Chocolate Hazelnut Gateau
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips, melted and cooled
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- 2/3 cup ground hazelnuts, toasted
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 cup (6 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- Toasted slivered almonds and fresh mint leaves
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks, melted chocolate and vanilla. Combine the flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in the hazelnuts.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; carefully fold into batter. Spread into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; remove sides of pan. Cool completely.
- In a saucepan, bring the butter, corn syrup and water to a boil; stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool to room temperature. Spread over top and sides of cake. Garnish with almonds and mint.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 384 calories, 25g fat (14g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 256mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (31g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
May 12, 2010
I also made this with black walnuts. AWESOME. My family said to use the walnuts instead of the hazel nuts.
Mar 6, 2009
I just needed a chocolate fix,I wanted somethig different. An this really fit the bill. Definatly will make again
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.