Cauliflower with Roasted Almond & Pepper Dip
This tasty vegetable side dish can set a chilling scene on Halloween if you style it to look like a brain—try adding spiders and spiderwebs to your table setting. You can also serve it on Thanksgiving and pair it with the turkey and dressing. The festive orange sauce takes some time, but it tastes incredible.—Lauren Knoelke, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min.
Makes10 servings (2-1/4 cups dip)
- 10 cups water
- 1 cup olive oil, divided
- 3/4 cup sherry or red wine vinegar, divided
- 3 tablespoons salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup whole almonds, toasted
- 1/2 cup soft whole wheat or white bread crumbs, toasted
- 1/2 cup fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 1 jar (8 ounces) roasted sweet red peppers, drained
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, bring water, 1/2 cup oil, 1/2 cup sherry, salt, bay leaf and pepper flakes to a boil. Add cauliflower. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until a knife easily inserts into center, 15-20 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
- Preheat oven to 450°. Place cauliflower on a greased wire rack in a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake on a lower oven rack until dark golden, 35-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place almonds, bread crumbs, tomatoes, roasted peppers, parsley, garlic, paprika, salt and pepper in a food processor; pulse until finely chopped. Add remaining sherry; process until blended. Continue processing while gradually adding remaining oil in a steady stream. Serve with cauliflower.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 194 calories, 16g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Caramelized Cauliflower with Roasted Almond and Pepper Dip in Halloween Bookazine 2016
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.