Canadian Bacon Cheese Soup
My family loves Canadian bacon, but I don't run across a lot of dishes that call for this pork product. Everyone was thrilled the first time I offered this succulent soup.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
Makes8 servings (2 quarts)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1 medium carrot, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 6 ounces Jones Canadian Bacon, trimmed and diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first five ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until vegetables are very tender. With a potato masher, mash vegetables several times. Add bacon; continue to simmer. Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan; stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Add vegetable mixture, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; add cheese and pepper. Stir just until cheese is melted.