Blue Cheese Ice Cream with Pomegranate Ripple
Try this sweet-savory ice cream with a glass of Prosecco or other sweet sparkling white wine. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 5 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 2 teaspoons pomegranate molasses
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk and sugar until bubbles form around sides of pan. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into the egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly.
- Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and coats the back of a spoon. Remove from the heat. Whisk in cheese until smooth. Transfer to a bowl; place in ice water and stir for 2 minutes. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fold in whipped cream. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to the manufacturer’s directions. In a large container, layer a third of the ice cream and 1 teaspoon molasses. Repeat. Top with remaining ice cream. Swirl mixture; freeze until firm.