My family has enjoyed these bars as a potluck dessert, brown-bag treat and anytime snack many times throughout the years. Butterscotch or peanut butter chips can be used in place of the chocolate chips.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread into a greased 11x7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 144 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Blonde Brownies in Best of Country Cookies