My family has enjoyed these bars as a potluck dessert, brown-bag treat and anytime snack many times throughout the years. Butterscotch or peanut butter chips can be used in place of the chocolate chips.
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter-flavored shortening
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
- Spread into a greased 11x7-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack. Cut into bars.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 144 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 85mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (16g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Blonde Brownies in Best of Country Cookies
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.