Bella Basil Raspberry Tea
Beautiful basil and fresh raspberries lend bright color and refreshing flavor to this grown-up iced tea. You’ll love the fun fizz and make-ahead convenience for parties. —Laurie Bock, Lynden, Washington
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling
- 3 cups fresh raspberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 individual black tea bags
- 1 bottle (1 liter) carbonated water or 1 bottle (750 milliliters) sparkling rose wine
- Ice cubes
- Fresh raspberries, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the raspberries, sugar, basil and lime juice. Mash berries. Cook over medium heat for 7 minutes or until berries release juices.
- Remove from the heat; add tea bags. Cover and steep for 20 minutes. Strain, discarding tea bags and raspberry seeds. Transfer tea to a 2-qt. pitcher. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
- Just before serving, slowly add carbonated water or wine.Serve over ice. If desired, top with raspberries.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 281 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9mg sodium, 44g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 4g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Bella Basil Raspberry Tea in Simple & Delicious August/September 2012