Total TimePrep: 55 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 8 ounces uncooked mostaccioli
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 °. Cook mostaccioli according to package directions; drain and set aside. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute. Drain.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce and paste, mushrooms, water, salt, sugar, basil, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaf. Stir in mostaccioli. Spoon half into a 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese; layer with remaining meat mixture. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake 30-35 minutes or until heated through. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 271 calories, 11g fat (5g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 593mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 3g fiber), 20g protein.
Apr 7, 2015
A classic pasta supper my family devours every time! So easy and such flavor makes it a great one for holidays too!
Nov 2, 2014
This was a hit! I also used a half pound of italian sausage and highly recommend the addition. I used a 16 oz sauce instead of 8 oz. It was not dry at all
Aug 17, 2014
Excellent recipe! I doubled this for a potluck, and it came out great!
May 19, 2014
Made the recipe using Quinoa with onion and garlic in beef broth in place of ground meat b/c being pregnant, ground meat makes me vomit. Smells delicious! Can't wait! Also added diced zucchini and yellow squash to give it more body.
Dec 6, 2013
Great recipe, I would recommend using a half pound of spicy Italian sausage as well.
May 19, 2013
I made this in the morning for a party & then reheated & served in my slow cooker in the evening. All of my guests loved this dish. Everyone thought this was catered with the rest of the food. People were raving about it & wanted to take some home. I do suggest making a double batch if you'll be serving it for a party. Very very good.
Feb 12, 2013
Yum-o! Very good and easy. Followed the recipe as is. The leftovers were very good also!
Jan 24, 2013
Just made it and I like it very much. I used Monterey Jack Cheese and Moz. cheese because that is what I had on hand. Turned out very good. My husband will like it too!
Sep 20, 2012
My family loves this recipe and I make it all the time. It is great for a crowd and I can make it up the day before and bake it the next day for dinner. I have even made a double batch and frozen some (before I baked it) for later use. I do not measure the cheese so I am sure I add more than called for.
Aug 9, 2012
I've made this dish many times and there are never any leftovers.