Apple Citrus Cider
Patricia Aurand of Findlay, Ohio shares her warm, comforting cider with a twist of pineapple and citrus that's just perfect for the season. And this tangy treat will warm hands of all sizes, big or small.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
Makes12 servings (3 quarts)
- 8 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 medium lemon, thinly sliced
- 3 cinnamon sticks (3 inches)
- 6 whole allspice
- 6 whole cloves
- 4 cups lemon-lime soda
- In a large saucepan, combine the apple juice, pineapple juice concentrate, sugar and lemon slices. Place the cinnamon sticks, allspice and cloves on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with kitchen string to form a bag. Add to pan.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes. Discard spice bag. Stir in lemon-lime soda; cook for 4-6 minutes or until heated through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 158 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 15mg sodium, 40g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Originally published as Hot-N-Spicy Cider in Simple & Delicious November/December 2006