Pickled Zucchini Slices Recipe
Here's a great way to put your garden bounty to good use! Turn that ripe zucchini into a crunchy, flavorful burger topping. Romaine Wetzel, Ronks, PA
- 8 cups sliced zucchini
- 4 large onions, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, sliced
- 3 tablespoons canning salt
- 1 quart white vinegar
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the zucchini, onions and pepper; sprinkle with canning salt and cover with cold water. Let stand for 2 hours; rinse and drain.
- In a large saucepan, bring the remaining ingredients to a boil. Pour over zucchini mixture; cover and let stand for 2 hours.
- Transfer to a stockpot. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 5 pints.
Originally published as Zucchini Pickles in Taste of Home June/July 2010, p67
Reviews for Pickled Zucchini Slices(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Sep. 28, 2010
Good flavor, but not as crunchy as I would prefer. I'm wondering if it would work better as a refrigerator pickle instead.