This is the best King Ranch Chicken I've ever had. Lived in the Houston area for 24 years before moving to Oklahoma and have tried a lot of different recipes and this one is the very best.
Featured In: 25 Potluck Side Dishes to Feed a Crowd
- 1 large chicken (or 1 rotissery chicken)
- 1 stalk celery
- 1/2 medium onion
- 3 qts water (or 1 16 oz can chicken broth)
- 1 pkg flour tortillas
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1 can cream of celery soup
- 1 jar jalapeno cheeze whiz
- 1 16oz pkg grated cheddar cheese
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1 can rotel tomatoes (drained)
- 1 can chopped green chili's
- Place chicken, celery, onion and water in a stock pot and boil until tender. Cool, debone and cut into bite size pieces. Reserve stock. (Or debone rotissery chicken and open can of chicken broth.)
- Over medium heat in large saucepan add soups, cheeze whiz, half of the cheddar cheese, chopped onion, rotel tomatoes and green chili's until all ingredients are blended.
- Spray a 10 x 13 casserole dish with vegetable spray.
- Soak flour tortillas in chicken broth for 1 - 2 minutes.
- Using 2 - 4 tortillas, place a layer on the bottom and sides of dish, overlapping.
- Next put one layer of chicken (1/3) on top of the tortillas.
- Top with 1/3 of the soup/cheese sauce.
- Place another layer of soaked tortillas on top of the sauce and repeat chicken and soup/cheese sauce.
- Add one additonal layer of tortillas, chicken and soup/cheese sauce.
- Top with the remainder of the cheddar cheese.
- Place in preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 40 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 15-20 minutes before cutting into serving pieces. Yield: serves 8
Reviews for King Ranch Chicken
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review