Award Winning Fireside Vegetable Soup Recipe
This is my most requested soup recipe. I come from a big family and everyone is clamoring for it the minute the weather turns crisp and chilly. I love the way this soup makes the house smell while you cook it and am quite proud of it because it took first place at our seasonal campground soup cook off. Serve with crusty bread and this meal can't be beat!
- 3 pounds ground beef
- 1 large white onion, halved and sliced thinly moon shaped
- 3 cups celery
- 1 two pound bag of frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, preferably garlic and oregano
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons sweet basil, dried
- 2 tablespoons Herbs de Provence, dried
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (yes, cinnamon)
- 1 large (64 oz.) jar spaghetti sauce, recommended Prego
- 1 large (64 oz.) empty spaghetti sauce jar filled with cold water
- 3/4 cup medium barley
- In large soup pot, brown the ground beef with the sliced onion. Cook until meat is done and onions are tender.
- Add the mixed vegetables, celery, diced tomatoes, garlic, sweet basil, herbs de provence, salt, chicken soup base, sugar, cinnamon, spaghetti sauce, cold water and barley.
- Bring all the ingredients slowly up to a medium boil and continue to cook for 1 1/2 hours, uncovered. If soup is too thick, add water to thin out but it should be hearty and a bit thicker.
- Serve with crusty bread. Yield: serves 10
Reviews for Award Winning Fireside Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review