Apricot Horns Recipe
Years ago, my neighbor brought us some of these delicate cookies at Christmas. They were such a hit with my family, the next year I spent an afternoon with my neighbor, watching her make them, so that I could get them right! They have become such a tradition with my family, friends and co-workers, it wouldn't be Christmas without them! I give them as gifts at school and bring them to our last "PayDay" meal before Christmas break. The staff, as well as my family, just expect them now! My oldest daughter has begun to practice, so she can carry on the tradition when I am gone!
- 1 lb. Imperial margarine (No Substitute)
- 5 cups flour
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 packet yeast
- 3 egg yolks plus 1 whole egg, beaten
- 8 oz. dried apricots
- 1 12 oz. can crushed pineapple
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- Dough: Dissolve the yeast in the sour cream. Cut the margarine into flour until crumbly. Add eggs to the yeast mixture, then pour into crumbly flour. Work in well, then shape into a ball. Cover and set in refrigerator til chilled.
- Filling: Put apricots in small saucepan, cover with water, and simmer until apricots are soft. Mash, adding the sugar and pineapple a little at a time. Consistency should be similar to preserves. Chill
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line ungreased cookie sheets with wax paper.
- Shape dough into baseball-sized balls. Roll out with lots of sugar into 8-10 inch circles (about the thickness of pie crust). Cut into 8 wedges. Spoon a teaspoon of filling on each wedge. Beginning at the outside edge, fold over one third, pinching the edges closed, using more sugar so the dough is not sticky. Fold over again and pinch the edges, again with sugar. The cookies should look coated with sugar. Repeat with the rest of the dough and filling. Leave a little space between them on the cookie sheet. Bake about 15 minutes or until the edges are slighted brown and tops are not doughy. Watch them closely! Remove them IMMEDIATELY from the cookie pans, onto wire racks to cool. Yield: serves 18
Reviews for Apricot Horns(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review