Winter Country Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 shallots, chopped
- 1 large sweet red pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 package (14 ounces) smoked sausage, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 8 cups chopped fresh kale
- 3 cups frozen corn (about 15 ounces)
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) great northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 1. In a Dutch oven, heat butter over medium-high heat; saute sausage with pepper and shallots until browned.
- 2. Add kale; cook, covered, until kale is wilted, 2-3 minutes. Stir in all remaining ingredients except orzo; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- 3. Return to a boil. Stir in orzo. Cook until pasta is tender, 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 cup: 258 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 25mg cholesterol, 1067mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Winter Country Soup
"Great soup! Since its so cold in Upstate, decided to make this soup & I must say its awesome. Followed the directions exactly except for replacing the smoked sausage with turkey sausage (health reasons) & omitting the orzo, as I didn't see the need for it. The soup is hearty and loaded with carbs considering the beans & corn. This is a keeper in my recipe box for Winter months. Jeannette, thank you so much for sharing this recipe with us all."
"Delicious. I'd skip the orzo because I have to freeze part of it because I'm only cooking for 1 person. The orzo disintegrated in to what looked like cracker bits. I prefer kale to spinach because it holds up better and I grow it in my garden. I used jalapeno chicken sausage and salt free broth."
"1067 mg salt in a 1 cup serving?!!!!!! You have got to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"
"My husband loved this. I shared with some friends and they asked for recipe. I didn't have kale so used spinach. Very good. Will make again."
"Great winter 'warmer'...I cut the shallots down to 1....I felt 8 was way too many!"
"This an awesome soup! i use spinach instead of kale, and I love it!"
"I was amazed at how much I liked this soup! I am more of a cream soup kind of person, but I needed a gluten and dairy-free recipe (I used rice instead of orzo), and this was delicious! It has such great flavor and I was sure I would need to add salt, but it doesn't need any! I will be keeping this recipe on hand! Thanks you for sharing this Jeanette!"
"This was ok. My first time cooking with kale. I felt like the soup needed some other seasoning than cayenne."
"We enjoyed this soup. I only used 4 cups of kale, as I'm not a huge kale fan, and I'm glad I did. It seemed just right."
"great flavor! love this soup!"
"This soup is very good. I will make it again"
"A really hearty soup with wonderful flavor. Will absolutely make this again."