Veggie Chicken Creole Recipe
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Hot cooked rice
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the green peppers, onion, celery and garlic in 2 teaspoons oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook until liquid has evaporated. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, oregano, lemon juice, basil and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened and flavors are blended.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute chicken in remaining oil in batches until no longer pink. Return chicken to pan; stir in sauce. Heat through, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Serve over rice; garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup (calculated without rice): 189 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Veggie Chicken Creole
"Simple to make, quick and pretty good! I added a little bit of salt though and I doubled the garlic."
"I left out the mushrooms and it needed salt"