I ladle this vegetable-packed chicken dish over jasmine rice. It’s a long-grain rice that’s not as sticky as most, but any cooked rice, including brown, works here.—Virginia Crowell, Lyons, Oregon
Featured In: 23 Chicken and Vegetable Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- Hot cooked rice
- Minced fresh parsley, optional
- In a large saucepan, saute the green peppers, onion, celery and garlic in 2 teaspoons oil until tender. Add mushrooms; cook until liquid has evaporated. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, oregano, lemon juice, basil and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5-10 minutes or until slightly thickened and flavors are blended.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, saute chicken in remaining oil in batches until no longer pink. Return chicken to pan; stir in sauce. Heat through, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Serve over rice; garnish with parsley if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Creole in Taste of Home October 2011, p53
Reviews forVeggie Chicken Creole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 17, 2011
"Simple to make, quick and pretty good! I added a little bit of salt though and I doubled the garlic."
Reviewed Sep. 29, 2011
"I left out the mushrooms and it needed salt"