Potato and Mushroom Gratin
- 2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Marsala wine
- 3 large potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, cubed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1. In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and shallots in oil until tender. Add wine; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- 2. Arrange a third of the potatoes in a greased 10-in. round shallow baking dish. Layer with half of the mushroom mixture, cheeses, basil and another third of potatoes. Repeat layers. Pour cream over top. Dot with butter; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
3/4 cup: 426 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 81mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Jun 16, 2014
I made this tonight and it was amazing. I used fresh mushrooms and cheddar, because it was what I had on hand. I will try it with the Swiss next time. It's a keeper!
Jun 13, 2014
Recipe saved! Look fwd. to making soon as my family loves potatoes, cheese, mushrooms. Thank You for sharing, TOH!! J. Will have to curb portion for self since I must watch carbs.
Dec 31, 1969
Good! Used cheddar cheese instead of swiss (not a big swiss fan) and used onions. Took alot longer to cook and did leave kinda a weird smell in the house, but otherwise yummy!
Jan 10, 2012
Heavenly!! Husband says mmmmmm. Used fresh mushrooms and onion and baked it in a bigger dish. This goes on our "favorites" list! Thank you so much.
Jul 24, 2011
I used Monterey Jack in place of the Swiss, because I am not a huge Swiss fan. I also used fresh mushrooms and onions in place of the shallots. This was very taste and looked fabulous! I will defintely be making again!!
Apr 24, 2011
For first try, made to exact recipe. Next time: use fresh mushrooms. Either par cook potatoes or add another 1/2 hour to bake time. More cheese, less whip cream would work too. I'll try it in my own version next time and know it will fit our needs better.